VX-5 VAMPIRES US NAVY PLAQUE 1973 NAVAL WEAPONS CHINA LAKE
U.S. Navy VX-5 Vampires Air Development Squadron plaque with heavy 3D brass squadron emblem depicting a vampire bat hanging upside down, emitting sonar waves, with a moon and a sun, lightning bolts and flames. Dated 1971-1973. Issued to Chief Warrant Office Maury Sanchez.
The VX-5 Vampire Squadron, initially stationed at Naval Air Station Moffett Field in 1951 and then relocated to the Naval Weapons Center China Lake in 1956 was responsible for development of aircraft tactics and techniques for the delivery of airborne special weapons systems.
Wooden shield is About 8 inches by 6 inches. The medallion is 3 3/8 inches in diameter with great detail. The bat and lightning bolts are actually raised above the surface of the rest of the medallion.
Excellent original condition. Made by the R. Pette Co., Providence, Rhode Island.a